Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Make It a G'Day: Wallaby Organic Yogurt

photo borrowed from www.devilandegg.com

Okay, I've sung the praises for French yogurt long enough. I do miss the simple clear glass jars with noisette (hazelnut) flavored creamy goodness made from unpasteurized sheep/cow milk blend, but man, I found some yogurt to knock your socks off - or at least to knock your khaki-colored safari hat off.

I'm usually one to head to Whole Foods first as part of my Saturday-after-pay-day grocery shopping marathon, where I pick up anything I can't find at my local Publix (best grocery store in the country, I might add). I love organic yogurt, especially from other parts of the world. That's not to say that Stonyfield Farms (and others) don't have good yogurt. They do. But THIS stuff - Wallaby Organic - is exceptional.



The yogurt is creamy and tangy, a bit looser in texture than UH-merican yogurt (much looser than Greek-style), and has that extra tang that reminds you that what you're eating has gone through very little alteration. I'm partial to the Dulce de Leche flavor, I think it's the bee's knees, but the blueberry, blackberry, and strawberry/banana flavors are great, too. It's yogurt - plain and simple - actually, dulce de leche and simple. Delicious.

Available for around $0.99 at Whole Foods Market. Get some.

One more thing...



I just ran into this yogurt maker at Bed Bath & Beyond. I've heard it works...sort of. I haven't tried it. The chance to make homemade yogurt for $29.99 is just too good to be true. Right? Anyone tried it?

2 comments:

Kimberly said...

My mother-in-law makes her own yogurt, just in the oven (unheated, but with the light on). She used to do huge batches all the time. Having seven kids and a tight budget made her pretty resourceful. She would freeze a lot of it into yogurt pops for the kids. I have her recipe and instructions if you're interested.

Jen said...

I make homemade yogurt in the crockpot... got it off another blog site, pretty good.