Sunday, November 26, 2006

Day 1: The Snacking Challenge

Menu:
Breakfast: Veggie omelet (1 whole egg, 2 egg whites, TONS of veggies), one peice of whole grain toast, optional coffee/tea (no milk, no sugar)

Lunch: A bowl of minestrone (2 cups), green salad tossed with lemon juice and olive oil, a peice of whole grain toast.

Snack: Nonfat cappucino/latte (optional Splenda), non-fat flavored yogurt (less than 120 calories/serving)

Dinner: Baked salmon on a bed of arugula, 1 cup steamed broccoli

Okay, day 1. I wasn't hungry all that much. But I have to admit, I was jonesing for something sweet all day. The nonfat Yoplait "Boston Creme Pie" flavored yogurt just didn't do it for me. Plus, I was decieved. Boston Creme pies have chocolate. The yogurt didn't have chocolate. A day without chocolate is like...well, that's another blog entry.

I did cheat a little bit with dinner. Oh, I had the salmon and the broccoli and the arugula (even though my family was eating beautiful fluffy rice), but the salmon was blackened, and the broccoli was sauteed in a little olive oil with garlic, soy sauce, and orange zest. Come on, I'm a chef, give me a break.

The hardest thing was not the drinking 8 glasses of water, and it wasn't the sticking to the menu at mealtimes. It was the snacking. During cooking, I have to taste everything. I also found myself opening the refrigerator at odd points during the day, mindlessly almost-reaching for the tub of ice cream or a peice of homemade peanut brittle. Hopefully tomorrow will be easier.

So there we go. I'm actually kind of hungry right now, but I'm going to try desperately not to eat. If I have to eat, I'll have a carrot.

That last sentence made me remember why I don't "DIET."

No comments: