Monday, June 14, 2010

Die Mannschaft Decides Our Dinner: Germany v. Australia

I've gotta hand it to Germany, they served up Australia on the barbie last night, 4-0.  It was a bloody bloodstained blood bath, it was.  A little sad for the team with the most ridiculous nickname: The Socceroos.

I'm going to have to get over my feelings about Germany.  In my head, WWII has stained the country forever as a fascist, racist place.  Their players have names like Schweinsteiger (Gestapo, anyone?).  They're called Die Mannschaft.  I mean really.  They sound evil.  But they did kick ass yesterday, playing better than anyone I've seen so far. 

In their honor (my prediction is that we see Germany in the final; I have spoken), instead of serving Vegemite sandwiches for dinner, I cooked up a good, hearty German feast.

Pork weiner schnitzel, homemade spaetzle (little German dumplings) and braised red cabbage with apples.  I've heard that you can buy a spaetzle maker, but really.  How many more times am I going to make spaetzle, I thought.  I'll just sweat to death over this boiling pot of water and force the dough with a spoon through the tiny holes of a colander.  No problem.

I had no idea it would be my Cliff's favorite part of the meal.  Maybe I'll go buy a spaetzle maker.

For dessert, a cherry galette.  From fresh cherries.  That I pitted myself.  Without a pitter.

Das dinner.

No comments: