Friday, June 11, 2010

World Cup Game 1 Breakfast: Mexico vs. South Africa

I have to admit, I got a little choked up during the opening announcement of the World Cup.  Africa has so many problems that the world just ignores  most of the time.  It's unbelievable that for one month, all eyes will be on Africa.  I hope that the World Cup brings to light how much Africa needs the rest of the world.

I'm excited to explore food from all over the world during the next month, creating a dish from a World Cup Country every day.  I hope you'll join me and celebrate this amazing event.

As the game wraps up (we're at the 93rd minute as I'm typing), I have been really impressed with the 83rd ranked South African national team in this game against Mexico.  It'll end in a 1-1 draw, but the fact that S.A. scored on 17th ranked Mexico was enough for me.

The game started at 9:30am on Friday, so it was only proper that I make a breakfast to celebrate.  I'm no El Tri fan by any means, but I couldn't think of any South African breakfast. I'll work on that.

 But for breakfast, huevo rancheros it was.

No comments: